Awesome Operating System¶
|Dec 18, 2020||extracted from the summary doc|
You know what, this page is AWESOME: https://github.com/jubalh/awesome-os.
- Linux 0.0.1
- This is the first linux source code released by Linus. Despite several designs are static or obsolete from today’s point of view, it showcases a simple and elegant solution.
- Plan 9 OS
- Legendary OS.
- So many systems are influended by Plan 9 (e.g., Go, gVisor)
- illumos, a fork of the Oracle Solaris OS.
- seL4 Microkernel
- MacOS Darwin
- Google Fuchsia
(Image source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Unix_timeline.en.svg)
- “It features a simple but functional graphical interface, pre-emptive multitasking, and virtual memory”
- A research OS from MSR. Very interesting one. It leverages certain PL features to write secure and dependable OS. It also allows verification. It never landed as a commercial one, but it does inspire certain follow-up works.
- Several old research OSes have also used certain language features to carry out security measures (e.g., V++).
Ever thought about how to go from Linux Kernel to a full Linux Distribution?
Last update: December 19, 2020